Friday, February 10, 2012

A Few Short Words..

...that's what I am struggling to find. 
A little more than a week ago, I made it public knowledge that we were in the beginning stages of adopting a child.  Almost immediately after that post went live, we received word that we could potentially not be approved by the country we were seeking to adopt from, due to Mike's medical school loans.  That has since been resolved, and we received official approval at the end of this week.  Talk about an emotional roller coaster!
Now, we're finding ourselves drowning in a sea of paperwork, phone calls, visits/meetings, and fees.  It's extremely overwhelming, and we're just trying to keep our heads above water, and trying to keep things as normal as possible around the house.  Even though my to-do list has pretty much quadrupled, keeping things as close to our normal routine has been number one.  Some days have been easier than others, but I think everyone is holding steady now.
Constantly in my mind, however, are all the worries, anxieties, and questions.   To be totally honest, as we get further and further into the process, I'm realizing just how much of this I have to put into God's hands, just as if I was actually pregnant.  There is so much out of my control - at any point, the process could stop - and I have to learn to just let go of those worries and hold to prayer.  It's a lot easier said than done. 
My mind is racing with fundraising thoughts (eek!  We need to get moving on that!), what papers need to get mailed where, and how are we going to pay for the next round of bills, and on top of all of that....I need to start building a blog through our adoption liaison's website.    We'll be able to accept donations through them, and since they are a non-profit, the donations will tax deductible for the donor.   I hope to have that launched soon, and will keep everyone updated.
I can't even begin to start on that blog, though, until I create a family biography.  Since we are adopting a special needs child from an orphanage, it's not quite as much of an "advertising" profile as say, a directory for birth mothers to look through, but it still needs to accurately describe our family.  This will be how people come to know us through the adoption ministry we are working with.  It needs to be short, vibrant, and accurate.  It has to make people WANT to like us and WANT to help us.

It's quite a daunting task.
How do you even begin to write something as important as this?  I keep looking at the computer screen, and nothing comes to mind.  I don't write short, to-the-point paragraphs.  I like words (a little too much, Mike says sometimes!  haha).    For the first time in a long time...I'm completely at a loss for words.
How do I describe - in one short paragraph - the people who mean the most to me?   The family I would die for, if it came to that.   How do I put all of that love into one brief biography?
Aack.

No comments:

Post a Comment